Monday, November 23, 2015



Autumn flowers
by Marguerite Zorach
1940
Colored Silkscreen, 16.5" x 12.5"


About the Art
The colors bright and fresh, on thick smooth cream wove paper with narrow margins as issued. Some minor tape residue and roughness to margin edges outside of image, as is common with this series. While there has been some speculation as to the degree of involvement on the part of the well known artists who's silkscreens were published by this New York firm, one of the Zorach children distinctly remembered their mother working intently on the color screens for this print. This appears to be the artist's only color silkscreen print.


About the Artist
Marguerite Thompson Zorach was born in Santa Rosa, California, in 1887. Raised and educated in her home state, Zorach was one of the first women to matriculate at Stanford University in 1908. However, having shown a great aptitude for painting, Zorach was allowed leave Stanford to join an aunt in Paris later that year in order to pursue art. Zorach spent four years studying at La Palette, a progressive school in the Latin Quarter where she met William Zorach whom she would marry in 1912. In Paris, Zorach was immersed in the ideas espoused by the European avant garde and by artists such as Henri Matisse, AndrĂ© Derain, and Maurice de Vlaminck, among others. During this time she was directly influenced by French Fauvism in particular and began to emphasize the use of color and line over formal representation in her own work. Indeed, as Valerie Ann Leeds has stated, this “keen sense of color and design,” which Zorach began to develop during her Paris years, remained one of her “particular strengths as an artist” throughout her long career. After returning to the United States in 1912, Zorach marked the beginning of her professional career as an artist by exhibiting work at the Armory Show in 1913 and, a few years later, at the prestigious Forum Exhibition of Modern American Painters. Zorach continued to evolve and expand her language of modern American art unceasingly until her death in 1968.

Well I have to say I love this challenge and have so many ideas that I can't seem to stop! 
My first idea was to use translucent clay in colored layers filling the space in the leaf shape. I really liked this and intend to do more with transparent liquid clay.
I made the links by cutting, shaping, and pressing copper and then colored using Vintaj patinas. 
I shaped the copper wire to reflect the black stem that trails in front of the vase.
Bronze freshwater pearls and Czech beads.




I am still working on the photography issues but I will get there!



 

These are about 1 1/4" , shaped copper and embossing enamel.



I love this bracelet! I made the clasp and leaf charms. In the painting there is a leaf that looks like a hart folded in half so that's why I used the heart shape. I used Vintaj patinas for the coloring.  Like the era of the painting I tried to express the painting with color. I used African recycled glass beads, tauga nut rondells, Gaea ceramic bead, all from Lima Beads. The lampwork beads were made for me by  TANERES - Sarenas Beadery

STEEL Grey RAKU Disks Handmade Lampwork Glass Bead -

Love her work!  The other beads are Czech aand jasper I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my Blog.